THE TASK FORCE
The mandate of the task force covers two groupes of tax assistance:
- the tax assistance granted to manufacturing businesses in resource regions, i.e. the three tax credits relating to secondary and tertiary natural resource processing (ending in 2009) and the tax holiday for manufacturing SMEs (ending in 2010);
- the tax credits for new economy businesses located in designated sites (ending between 2010 and 2013).
The task force will make recommendations to the government regarding the best approaches to follow for the territories and activity sectors affected by the expiry of these tax measures. Among other things, the task force will:
- describe these tax assistance measures;
- identify the measures’ impact on:
- recipient businesses and other businesses in Québec;
- the development of the territories and activity sectors concerned;
- analyze the major issues and economic challenges to be considered regarding territories and activity sectors concerned;
- examine the government support that other jurisdictions offer to specific territories and sectors;
- recommend economic measures for developing these territories and sectors of activity.
The task force is expected to submit its report in December 2007.